Mid-level industry position
Unity Lab Services, a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides integrated solutions, instrument, and enterprise services to our customers. The Service Engineer is responsible for managing all aspects of field service support and customer relationship management including but not limited to: installation, repair, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualification. The Service Engineer will be customer oriented, an advocate for Thermo Fisher Scientific, and eager to drive growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represents the company in a positive, professional manner in all dealings with Thermo Fisher Scientific customers, both external and internal.
- Manages workload and customer requirements in the assigned territory and region.
- Receives customer service request dispatches via dispatch process or via reassignment by Field Services leadership.
- Promptly acknowledges receipt of dispatch and contacts the customer to schedule required services. Ensures that the schedule meets the customer’s needs and entitlements. Seeks assistance from peers when unable to meet the customer’s expectations, and acts as a mentor to other Field Services employees in relation to conflict resolution and ensuring customer expectations are met.
- Communicate scheduled services to Customer Support Administration and Leadership on a daily basis. Reports daily activities to Customer Support Administration department for accurate record keeping, including closing service calls daily upon completion.
- Manages customer communications during difficult escalated field repair events and advises on resolutions to hot accounts.
- Assist in developing training plans for Field Services employees, mentor new Field Services employees, and provide “sign off” on the certification of newly trained/mentored Field Services employees.
- Provides ongoing coaching and development to other Field Service employees on both technical and non-technical processes and procedures to ensure compliance and departmental goals are achieved.
- Assists manager with daily management of activities at the specified site location
- Act as a Thermo Fisher Scientific advocate in all capacities in customer laboratories. Effectively communicate competitive information and additional sales opportunities to commercial team representatives. Provides feedback to factory personnel in relation to product improvements.
- Works with commercial team partners to upsell service contracts, parts, accessories, consumables, software, upgrades and training to customer base, while working towards the regional revenue goals defined by management.
- Maintains personal Field Service inventory and site inventory of spare parts. Return all defective material in a timely manner, and orders replacements in accordance with company policy.
- Maintains company assets (car, tools, inventory, laptop computer, etc.) in good and working condition.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Must have strong interpersonal skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Proven ability to diagnose and resolve problems on sophisticated electronic, mechanical and optical instrumentation in a commercial scientific laboratory environment.
- Ability to read, interpret and analyze component layout drawings, schematics, assembly drawings, wiring and labeling diagrams.
- Experience in selling process. Proven ability to sell Thermo Fisher Scientific value based service solutions.
- Basic instructional abilities (Field Services employee mentoring and customer training).
- Ability to prioritize territorial requirements (service calls, installations, and regional needs) and establish realistic schedules to meet requirements.
- Ability to produce clear and concise documentation.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a group, to accomplish individual and team objectives.
- Independently resolve routine customer satisfaction issues.
- Proven/developed leadership ability/credibility.
- Use of prescribed PPE to perform work function safely.
- Regular and Reliable Attendance.
- Bachelor Degree in Chemistry, Sciences, or related field preferred.
- 5+ years hands-on experience as a Service Engineer is preferred, particularly working with analytical instrumentation or 3+ years relevant industry experience.
- Hands-on experience with Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry systems preferred.
- Effective communication skills and establishing good customer rapport are essential.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
• Ability to safely lift and carry 25-30lbs continuously.• Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.• Ability to travel overnight at a minimum of 10%, after initial training period.
(2) Level of Physical Requirements: Medium to Heavy work.
(3) Level of Visual Acuity: Close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
(4) Environmental Conditions: Risk of exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. Risk of exposure to moving mechanical parts, fumes, airborne particles, radiation, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.