Executive / senior industry position
This individual will support the effective use of the EHS Management System for the Biochem Business Unit (BBU) in SSF. This person will, under the direction of the BBU EHS Manager, be responsible for the execution and supervision of ongoing environmental, safety and health programs for the site to ensure a safe environment in accordance with the goals and objectives of the BBU.
- Develop, implement and monitor company-wide environmental health programs in a variety of areas such as chemical, biological and/or radioactive waste management, effluent emission monitoring/reporting and emergency response procedures.
- Interpret EH&S standard operating procedures (SOPs) for employees to ensure consistent and compliant application of policies and programs throughout the company.
- Perform regular audits of SOPs and EH&S policies and revise as necessary to comply with federal, state and local requirements. Develop and initiate communications to ensure revisions are implemented.
- Conduct routine audits to identify changes in operations that may affect the conditions of environmental permits and licenses. Notify management of situations requiring additional investigation, and provide investigational support as requested.
- Conduct safety hazard evaluations through facility and equipment inspections. Perform analysis, as necessary, to identify root causes and make recommendations on corrective to management.
- Conduct EH&S training programs and revise instructional materials as needed.
- Assist in the development of new training materials and programs and in the development of tools to analyze and improve training effectiveness.
- Participate in regulatory agency inspections by answering questions, and providing reports and documentation as directed by department management.
- Monitor budget expenditures by maintaining accurate records in department database and/or expense reporting spreadsheets. Perform periodic analyses to identify potential budget problems and present information to management.
- Assist senior management, as requested, to develop portions of the department budget.
- Perform routine operational support duties such as preparing forms, filing regulatory documentation and maintaining department logs as necessary.
- Assist with special, short-term projects as directed by the manager of the EH&S department.
- Complete purchase requisitions for routine supplies and equipment.
- 6+ years environmental health and safety experience in a bio-medical research or manufacturing environment
- 2+ years EH&S experience in a cGMP Pharmaceutical or Biotech manufacturing environment.
- Hazardous material certifications.
- Ability to perform routine tasks without direct supervision, and able to complete new assignments with general instructions.
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and interpret complex regulatory documentation.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions (including SOPs).
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills including the ability to prioritize own work to meet established timelines and department goals.
- Demonstrate strong presentation skills.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to resolve problems using poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrate proficiency in standard business software applications.
Work Environment/Physical Demands/Safety Considerations
- Work in standard office environment.
- May work in the clean room environment that requires gowning in the form of hospital scrubs, bunny suits, gloves and steel toe boots be worn. No make up or jewelry can be worn when working in the clean room environment.
- When working in clean room environment with large mechanical equipment, piping, and pumps connecting to tanks serviced by high-pressure steam, water and air together this creates a loud environment.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Ability to wear a negative pressure Air Purifying Respirator and an SCBA.
- Ability to work around hazardous, radioactive, and potentially infectious materials and waste.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Who We Are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.