Researcher / analyst
South San Francisco
The Systems Pharmacology Group within the PKPD Department at Genentech, Inc. is seeking a Modeling & Simulation Scientist who is driven to enhance drug development through quantitative analysis and predictive modeling of biological systems. The Translational and Systems Pharmacology Group at Genentech supports select projects in various stages of research and development and across a range of therapeutic areas and molecule types/formats. Our group is comprised of scientists with PhDs in engineering and and related disciplines with expertise in biology-based modeling and simulation, data-driven modeling, computational algorithm and tool development, and translating complex biology into mathematical models. We work closely with collaborators across all disciplines in therapeutic areas such as oncology and cancer immunotherapy, immune and inflammatory disorders, ocular disease, neurological disorders, and more. Efficient communication and collaboration with biological and clinical collaborators are critical skills. The group has a significant external presence, with a growing list of publications in highly regarded journals in the field, numerous oral presentations, academic seminars, and workshop leadership. Our members are leaders of various interest groups, conference programming committees, and working groups in the field of pharmaceutical modeling and simulation. In addition to our application of systems modeling approaches in support of drug development, we are also committed to the development of new technical approaches, algorithms, and tools to advance the field.
- Strategize, plan, execute, and report machine learning, deep learning, and any other advanced analytics activities independently, as well as to present work at cross-functional teams, department meetings, senior management review committees, regulatory interactions, and scientific conferences.
- Apply advanced analytic methods on diverse systems immunology data (-omics, clinical measurements, imaging-derived results) to support project team goals such as biomarker and diagnostic investigation, patient classification, data-driven mechanistic inference and relationships, etc.
- Collaborate with Quantitative Systems Pharmacology modelers in developing integrated approaches of data driven analytics and mechanism-based modeling & simulation to address drug development problems.
- Work in close partnership with other scientists in Modeling and Simulation, Clinical Pharmacology, Clinical Science, Informatics, Biostatistics, Preclinical and Translational PK, DMPK, Safety Assessment, Biomarker, Diagnostics, Regulatory, and other functions.
- Contribute to best practices on application of artificial intelligence, ML, DL, and other advanced analytics techniques across department.
- Presentation of results at cross-functional teams, department meetings, review committees, and conferences.
- Maintain expertise and knowledge of technology trend and artificial intelligence landscape in our industry, assess and identify new opportunities for business objectives.
- Adapt and thrive in an interactive, team-oriented culture.
- Ph.D in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Engineering, Biostatistics/Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Bioinformatics or related discipline. Typical post-PhD experience requirements for Associate Scientist level is 0-3 years, Scientists ~3-6 years, and Senior Scientist ~7 or more years.
- Outstanding expertise in applied mathematics, statistics, bioinformatics, and/or artificial intelligence, master machine learning and deep learning programming skills (e.g., using R, S-plus, Matlab, Python, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, Mathematica, SAS etc.), and application experience in healthcare/drug development.
- Drug development knowledge and demonstrated impact using advanced analytics approaches is highly desired.
- Solid understanding of traditional PK/PD modeling and quantitative systems pharmacology modeling for drug development is a plus, but not required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and effectively on cross-functional teams.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to influence project team collaborators.
Who We Are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.