Research assistant / technician
Prometheus Biosciences is seeking a motivated, detail-oriented Medical Lab Technician to perform pre-analytical and analytical procedures for patient testing.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs pre-analytical and analytical procedures under the direct supervision of Clinical Laboratory Scientists and Medical Directors
- Performs procedures using pipettes and is able to adjust the measured volume
- Performs weight/measurements following specific instructions
- Performs sample dilutions following specific instructions
- Performs reconstitution following specific instructions
- Performs calculations, which are then verified by Clinical Laboratory Scientists
- Performs non-digital thermometer readings
- Performs preventative maintenance and calibrations on laboratory equipment
- Performs instrument troubleshooting and repairs
- Performs quality control procedures for supervisory review
- Participates in qualification of materials used in laboratory operations
- Provides input in development of laboratory documents such as Standard Operating Procedures
- Required to follow all safety procedures, Standard Operating Procedures, Equipment Operating Procedures and policies
- Monitors reagent and supply inventory
- Assists with instrument parallel testing after repairs and preventive maintenance
- Provides assistance in training other Clinical/Medical Laboratory Technicians
- Works on special projects as needed
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIESQUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCEPosition requires a MLT license and generally requires an Associate Degree in a scientific field with 2-3 years’ experience working in a CLIA/CAP environment preferred. Data entry and Microsoft office skills strongly preferred.LANGUAGE SKILLSAbility to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.MATHEMATICAL SKILLSAbility to work with mathematical concepts up to probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. REASONING ABILITYAbility to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw reasonable conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instruction in mathematical or diagram form. Ability to understand and comply with all applicable laboratory regulated guidelines. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONSPHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time in front of a computer monitor. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.WORK ENVIRONMENTThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extreme cold.The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate with background sounds from instruments and freezers.
All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other protected class.