Researcher / analyst
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind. BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Analytical Chemistry department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking a Research Associate to join the mass spectrometry core team focused on supporting gene therapy & enzyme replacement therapy. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated and critical thinker who has proven ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and fast-paced environment, and solid communication skills.
The candidate will be responsible for maintaining laboratory equipment, managing sample testing, compiling sample testing results, and developing new analytical methods and assays. The selected candidate should possess excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills and be a self-starter willing to work efficiently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment.
An ideal candidate will have experience in standard chromatographic measurements and an interest in learning about mass spectrometry based assays. A good scientific understanding of protein chemistry and biochemistry is essential. Hands-on experience in analytical method development and data handling is a big plus.
- Execution of relevant experiments to support sample testing and development of analytical assays for biologics in development.
- Development of analytical methods using size exclusion, ion exchange, and reverse phase chromatograms, and capillary electrophoresis.
- Provide concise and quantitative analysis of data and interpretation of experimental results.
- Ensure laboratory equipment have current calibration and preventative maintenance documentations.
- Report progress to the manager on a regular basis on each program.
- Write up methods, qualification reports, results & share with collaborators and supervisor; present data proactively and regularly in group meetings; communicate plans and results to collaborators and manager iteratively.
- Catalogue data/reports electronically in an accessible manner for inspections.
- Knowledge in standard protein analysis methods (e.g. SEC, IEX, RP-HPLC, and CE)
- Hand-on experience in protein biochemistry (e.g. SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, Immunoprecipitation)
- Collaborative skills to work in a cross-functional environment
- Excellent communication, collaboration and writing skills
- Proven data analysis, interpretation and scientific communication skills
- Proven flexibility and execution skills to deliver in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Knowledge of biopharmaceutical development is a plus
Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, biochemistry, or chemistry and at least 2 years of relevant experience, or minimal experience with Masters.
Agilent 6495 triple quadrupole and 6550 qTOF LC-MS systems, Agilent Bravo AssayMap and TECAN liquid handling systems, Waters and Agilent HPLC systems, and Beckman CESI 8000 Plus and PA800 capillary electrophoresis system.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability and believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or apply for a position, email Applicant_accommodations@bmrn.com with your request. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or correspondence. We will only respond to those requests that are related to the accessibility of the online application system due to a disability.