Federal and State Aid

MiraCosta College

Post Expires


Fellowship / research funding

The Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver

The BOG Fee Waiver is a state sponsored program, which waives enrollment fees ($46/per unit) for qualifying students. To apply for a BOG Fee Waiver, please complete the FAFSA if you are a U. S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. If you do not meet the citizenship qualification but meet the AB540 residency standards, please complete the California Dream application to determine your BOG Fee Waiver eligibility.

Cal Grant B & C

Cal Grant Programs or www.calgrants.org

G-10 - Grant Record Change Form (use to report a leave of absence)

G-21 - Grant Record Change Form (School use only)

WebGrants for Students

Cal Grants A, B, and C are for undergraduate students who meet the financial, academic, and eligibility requirements, and apply on time. Awards may be used only at qualifying colleges in California and do not need to be paid back. Cal Grant T is for students who will be attending a teaching credential program, in exchange for teaching service.

Cal Grants B and C are the only programs that are offered at MiraCosta College. You must be enrolled at least half-time to receive this award. All students may apply for Cal Grants A, B, and C by filing a FAFSA and the California Student Aid Commission’s GPA Verification Form no later than the postmark deadline of March 2nd for the upcoming school year.  If you are in high school, you may apply in your senior year.

If you fall into one of the first two categories below, MiraCosta College will submit your verified GPA electronically to the California Student Aid Commission.  You do not need fill out the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form.

MiraCosta College Only GPA – Completed 24.0 units or more degree-applicable units at MiraCosta College.

MiraCosta College Only Re-established GPA - Completed between 16.0 and 23.5 degree-applicable units at MiraCosta College.

High School Only GPA - Completed fewer than 24.0 degree-applicable college units. Obtain a GPA Verification form and submit the form to your high school for verification. You may also qualify to have your GPA sent electronically under category 2.

Other College Course Work GPA – If you need to include other college course work to meet the minimum 24.0 degree-applicable units (or a Re-established GPA, if you have completed between 16.0 and 23.5 degree-applicable units at a California Community College), complete the MiraCosta College Cal Grant Verification and the Cal Grant GPA Verification form. Submit both forms to the Admissions and Records Office.  Processing time is five (5) working days. The forms are made available in the Financial Aid Office in February and August each year.  

Students who will be attending a California Community College in the fall and miss the March 2nd deadline, have until September 2nd, to apply for the California Community College Cal Grant. Since the number of awards available in September is limited, it is best to have your FAFSA and GPA Verification form in no later than the March 2nd deadline. Individuals meeting the March 2 filing deadline by submitting both the FAFSA and the GPA Verification form, will be given optimal consideration.

Students who are offered a Cal Grant A but choose to attend a California Community College first, can reserve the award for up to three years until transferring to a four year college, if still financially qualified. If your Cal Grant A is held in reserve, you can activate it any time. If you list a California community college before a four-year California college on your FAFSA, it will be assumed the community college is your first choice. If you receive a Cal Grant A, the award will be placed in reserve for your first year unless you transfer to a tuition or fee-charging college and request to activate your award. When you do transfer, be sure to let your school know you have a CC reserve grant.

The Cal Grant B provides a living allowance and tuition and fee assistance for very low-income students. Awards for community college students and all first-year students provide up to $1,656 for books and living expenses. When renewed or applied for beyond the freshman year at a four-year college, the award also helps pay for tuition and fees. The top awards for tuition and fees are the same as those for Cal Grant A. For the Cal Grant B, your course work must be for at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C assists vocational students with tuition and training costs. Students must be enrolled in and attending a vocational training program lasting from four to 24 months in length. The maximum award amount is $576 at MiraCosta College.

Chaffee Grant for Foster Youth

Chaffee Grants are for students who are or were in foster care between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need. Students may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6.0 units).

To qualify, you must meet the following criteria: 

Be a current or former foster youth who was a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, between the ages of 16 and 18.

Youth who are/were in Kin-GAP, a non-related legal guardianship or were adopted, are eligible only if the youth was a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, between the ages of 16 and 18.

Not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year.

To be considered for a Chafee Grant, you must complete the following steps: 

Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online; or if you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), submit the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) online. (Dream Act Id required to submit a Chafee Grant Application).

Submit the California Chafee Grant Application online.

Your foster status will be verified electronically with the California Department of Social Services (CDSS). If CDSS is not able to verify your status, please complete the Foster Care Eligibility Certification Form and mail it.

Your school will submit the Need Analysis Report (NAR).

If you applied for a Chafee Grant, go to WebGrants for Students to check the status of your application.
Once all of the above is completed, you will be notified by email if you are selected for an award. The school will verify payment eligibility and disburse the check to you. If you receive a Chafee Grant, it may be renewed through your 23rd birthday as of July 1st of the award year. You do not need to reapply for a Chafee Grant each year; however, you must submit a FAFSA or CADAA. The Commission may contact you for updated information. Be sure to respond to e-mails, letters or forms that you may receive. 

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study Program offers part-time on-campus jobs to eligible financial aid applicants. Students are paid from funds the college receives from the U.S. Department of Education. The award is part of the student’s aid package; therefore a student must re-apply through the Financial Aid Office each year. There is no guarantee that a student will continue to receive work study awards from one award year to the next. Federal Work Study funds are limited, so awards usually go to those applicants who complete their financial aid file early and demonstrate financial need. You must complete any and all items requested on your SURF "To-Do List". To request Federal Work Study, email Lucy in the Financial Aid Office at Lfonseca@miracosta.edu.

Students who are awarded this type of aid are notified of the dollar amount they are eligible to earn during each semester, and must accept the offer to work by a specified deadline date. The hiring process is then completed through the Career Center/Student Employment Office, located in Building 4700 on the Oceanside Campus, phone 760-757-2121 x6493. If the student does not respond by the deadline the offer is cancelled and the funds are taken away.

In order to be eligible to work on campus, students must maintain at least half-time enrollment (at least 6 units) during Fall or Spring. Eligibility can also be affected by enrollment in late start, short term and all on-line classes; unsatisfactory academic progress; and dropping to less-than-half-time enrollment. There is no summer Federal Work Study.

Once the student has completed the hiring process, the Financial Aid Office will email a "Confirmation of Assignment" form to the supervisor and the student. This form confirms how many hours the student can work each term, using federal funds. It is the supervisor's and student's responsibility to keep track of the hours used to ensure they are not exceeded. Any hours worked beyond those authorized are automatically charged to the department's district account.

Federal Work Study student workers are permitted to work no more than 19.5 hours per week while classes are in session. During periods of non-attendance, such as Spring Break, students can work up to 40 hours per week, but cannot exceed 8 hours per day.

Timecards must be completed, signed and submitted to the Payroll Office on or before the third workday of the following month. Late timecards may result in the department's district account being charged. Students should indicate on their timecard that they are being paid using Federal Work Study funds by writing "FWS" on their timecards.

The earliest possible start date for Federal Work Study funding is August 1, 2017 for Fall 2017 award and January 2, 2018 for Spring 2018. The last possible working date for Federal Work Study funding is the last day of Spring semester, May 25, 2018 (or the last day of attendance), if your award includes Spring 2018 work study. The period of time from the last day of the Spring semester thru July 31 cannot be funded through Federal Work Study.

Pell Grant & FSEOG

Federal Pell Grant

Your Pell Grant award is based on your Financial Aid Enrollment Status. Pell Grant awards must be recalculated if your Financial Aid Enrollment Status has changed from what is printed on your Award Letter. All calculations are based on the 34 week Academic Year definition.

Pell Grants for Summer 2018

Beginning in the 2017-18 academic year, Pell Grant eligible students can receive up to 150% of their scheduled Pell Grant award each year. What does this mean for you? If you were a Pell Grant eligible student in fall 2017 and/or spring 2018, you may qualify for a Pell Grant for summer 2018. Click here for more information.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG funds must be awarded to Pell-eligible students who have the lowest family contribution. You must be enrolled in at least six (6) units to receive FSEOG funds (see Enrollment Status).

MiraCosta College partners with a third party servicer, BankMobile, to disburse financial aid funds. By doing so, we are able to disburse funds to students faster and more frequently. You may choose direct deposit to your current bank account, direct deposit to a BankMobile account, or a paper check by U.S. mail as your preferred method of financial aid delivery. A BankMobile packet will be mailed to financial aid students in a bright green envelope; this packet will have instructions for account authentication and choosing the preferred disbursement method.

Is That All You Need To Know?

The regulations and policies governing financial aid are complicated and lengthy. It would be impossible to include them all in a publication of this size. Here, we have attempted to outline the basic financial aid requirements. This brochure is as accurate as possible as of the date printed. Federal, state, and institutional policies and procedures may change after this document is printed.

MiraCosta College Financial Aid Fraud Policy


There are difficult situations where students and/or parents purposefully misrepresent information in hopes of obtaining financial aid assistance. The Financial Aid Office is required to have a policy of referral when confronted with actual or suspected cases of fraud and abuse [668.53(a)(5), 668.14(g)].

1. Policy for Fraud

Students and/or parents who willfully submit fraudulent information and/or alter documentation to obtain financial aid funds will be investigated to the furthest extent possible. All cases of fraud and abuse will be reported to the proper authorities.

2. Procedures for Fraud

If an Aid Administrator determines intentional misrepresentation of facts, false statements, or alteration of documents which resulted or could result in the awarding or disbursement of funds for which the student is not eligible, the case shall be referred to the Director for further review and possible disciplinary action. If the Director determines fraud exists, all information will be forwarded to the Vice President of Student Services, the Office of Inspector General of the Department of Education, and/or the local law enforcement agency.

More Information


Post Expires


Fellowship / research funding


Oceanside , United States